Hence, my question: Can the descreen operation
of that Gimp plug-in been done in darktable? A
demonstration of this operation can be seen for
instance on http://www.zoyinc.com/?p=1529

To my best knowledge - it is not possible to use Gimp plug-in in darktable.
I have never seen a plugin in DT that deals with descreen specifically. This is a commercial print (printing press) material that is scanned for reproduction. There are a number of plugins that deal with noise or blurring but they are all targeted to original art and original image coming from a camera (or in some cases film).

Regards,