> Message du 14/04/19 19:16
> De : "KOVÁCS István"
> A : "Darktable Users List"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Images order in db
>
> Hello,

> I have to admit I have not followed this discussion closely. I'd like to know
> why you care about database IDs? In most databases, the IDs are for internal
> use only, and have no meaning in the real world (they are not tied to time or
> filename, for example - the technical term is 'surrogate key').
> So, why are the keys important to you? Can't you sort or filter your images
> based or metadata, that has real-world meaning (e.g. time taken)?

> Kofa

Because I think this is the cause of other behaviours that tend to slow down
the flow.
When applying a style to many pictures, having the prog reading the files to
and fro must necessarily be slower than accessing them in a row.
Maybe not that sensitive on a modern computer with SSD, plenty of fast RAM,
high performance graphics card aso, but noticeable on an old one with basic
components.
Even importing files must be concerned : beginning at the 125th, then back to
the 43th, then 229th, 1st, 111th, 327th, 12th, etc. must be time consumming.
And I believe this is the reason why I have to apply development copying many
times before the whole collection is complete, for instance.
Not that bothering with 10 to 15 pictures, but now I have to rework my whole
collection. And, even with "only" 23k photos, it might save me some time, along
with some nerve crises (not sure whether the term is correct).

Rgrds,

J.-Luc