On 2019-05-05 1:13 p.m., Postmaster wrote:
> using darktable on a 17" laptop is a bit of an issue.
> The letter size is small ( too small really ), as my cursor is larger that
> most
> of the letters.
> Hard to click on anything.
>
> Cannot make the screen brighter, everything just seems dark.
>
> Tried looking for preferences but just not available.

The UI is controlled by CSS and not by 'preferences'.
There is a LOT, and awful lot , that you can adjust.

yes, I've mad the background lighter and the fonts, in some places, larger,
altered the spacing in some areas.

You don't say what OS you are using.
I'm using Linux and the relevant file for my personal settings is
        ~/.config/darktable/darktable.css
I don't know what that would be for Windows or OSx.  Sorry.

Early on you will see a stanza beginning

        * {
          font: Sans 8;
          color: @fg_color;
          background-color: @bg_color;

I changed the "8" to "10' in my personal file.
Start there and experiment.

See https://www.darktable.org/2018/12/darktable-26/
Scroll down 75% of the way to "More user-interface customizability through CSS".