Hi there,

I've been using darktable for about a year now and overall I'm very
happy that it exists. However One thing I can't wrap my head around:

Images often are displayed and exported darker than they are. I realise
that there are setting like base curve etc. and some are automatically
applied. But there has to be a major error in my thinking or the
settings. When I open the same image (I mostly have RAW and some jpgs)
in Raw Therapee or other program it is displayed "as photographed".

I don't even really understand why it seems that there has to be a base
curve in many cases. When it is set to "zero" the picture should also be
displayed with close simliarity to how it was photoghraphed, not darker.

Sorry - I might be blind to an obvious aspect. But I just don't get it,
have some years experience with similar software and photography.

Looking forward to a reply. It would be great to finally solve this, as
I think the program is really great .