On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, at 14:52, Michael wrote:
> What are you supposed to do with HDR creations. Straight out of the box
> it looks like the -3 exposure.

The "create HDR" function in darktable doesn't do any of the heavy tonemapping
that people tend to associate with the term "HDR"; it just creates a single
file that actually contains the combined dynamic range of the input files. The
difference between this file and the least exposed of the input files is that
you should be able to pull up the shadows to the EV of the *most* exposed input
file and have good detail and low noise.

> So I turn on the shadows and hilights
> module.... which makes it much better, except the colors are wrong. So
> what am I doing wrong?

That may not be the best module for doing the tonemapping. For spatially aware
tonemapping, you might look at the tonemap module, or the "fusion" feature of
the basecurve module (which can be used even with a "flat" basecurve). For a
more film-like mapping, try the "filmic" module, maybe in conjuction with
"local contrast". Of course, you can use any of the usual curve modules, too,
as well as "color balance"...

--
jys