darktable 2.6.2 on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p7

While exporting an image to jpg and loading another image into darkroom dt ran out of swap space and crashed. When I restart dt it seems to be running in a loop. It shows a couple of previews in lighttable but is unresponsive and consumes 100 percent of cpu. When restarting dt after the first crash I saw some messages on the console regarding lua. Something like "... this may ever happen". Unfortunately I can't find them in any of my log files and the messages are not reproducible.

Any ideas how to recover from this without reinstalling dt and re-importing all of my images?

Ludger