Hi

I'm fairly new to darktable, but have set up a reasonable workflow, and feel I'm producing good outputs. However I do have a problem with file management caused by DT version numbering which I hope someone can help me with as I've tried the DT manual and googling and found nothing.

Issue Summary
I often need to create a number of intermediate tif files during a development and also often have more than one version of a raw as I experiment/change my mind.  My workflow needs to keep track of which raw version each development stream belongs to, as well as the sequence in a stream of each exported file and edit sidecar (so I can revert or branch).

On export in DT, I always use the filenaming format $(FILENAME)_$(VERSION) [+ optional suffix], which in theory should mean the xmp files have the same base filename as the exported file, and in a subsequent export the version upon which that is based is part of $FILENAME so trace back is possible. Here is an example of files from part of one of my workflows:

NIK_0371.NEF   - original raw file
NIK_0371_04.NEF.XMP - first edit of fourth duplicate (automatic version naming by DT)

NIK_0371_05.NEF.XMP - first edit of fifth duplicate (automatic version naming by DT)
NIK_0371_4.tif - intermediate tif from first edit of fourth duplicate (version naming produced by $(VERSION))
NIK_0371_4.tif.xmp - edit sidecar of the tif from first edit of fourth duplicate
NIK_0371_4_0.tif
- intermediate tif from the edit of the first intermediate tif
NIK_0371_4_0.tif.xmp - edit sidecar of the
intermediate tif from the edit of the first intermediate tif
NIK_0371_4_0_0-Final.tif

The issue - exemplified above - is that
the filename given automatically by DT to an xmp file for a duplicate raw has a 2-digit version number but the $(VERSION) variable in the export module filename produces a 1-digit version number (for versions less than ten). This means the files are not sequenced correctly in File Manager - because '_4' and '_04' are very different to sort order, and it makes it much more complicated, time consuming and error-prone to keep track of the stack of files associated with each raw development stream.
This seems like a basic coding inconsistency but I wanted to make sure before reporting it as a bug.

Does anyone know if there's a way to force $(VERSION) to output 2-digits for all possible values so that it matches the version number format automatically given by DT to xmp files from a duplicate raw?

Thanks