I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 and I intend to install that on the new PC and wait
until 20.04 has been out a while before upgrading.  Although if I have to
use another distro I'll consider it.

I've never used suspend.  Computer kit/software is badly tested enough as
it is without wanting to tempt fate by having essentially a single session
lasting weeks/months.  I always shut stuff down each time - one less thing
to worry about.  Computers boot pretty quickly these days.