August,

> Last I checked (Darktable 2.6), the Lua API provided an interface to
> change the on-screen collection arbitrarily, but not to use the
> collection queries independently of what was shown on screen.

yes, that appears to be true also in 3.0.  from looking at the (what
purports to be a 3.0) lua api manual, it appears that with a GUI, one
might be able to use the collection queries from lua (so, i guess if,
for example, one were plugged in to run as a type of "export", one could
do that), but not without the GUI (i.e., not from the command line).

cheers, Greg