* tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> [02-12-20 19:20]:
> I am sorry to appear very stupid, but I can find no PDF in the first
> referenced link at github.
>
> And to appear even more stupid, I cannot find what I would call an
> installable version of DT 3.0.0 for use with Linux. I have no idea what a
> tarball is, but I think that what I would get, were I able to download it,
> is the source code. This is of no use to me: after trying repeatedly over
> more than 10 years I have never once successfully compiled a linux app, for
> very clear reasons: there are ALWAYS mistakes in the contents of the source
> package, or the developer has made assumptions about the environment of my
> system which are not valid, or I cannot understand the process (which is
> usually not defined) or some unexpected error occurs, with a resulting error
> message which is totally foreign to me. Is there not some sort of readily
> accessible repository for DT 3.0.0 which I can access? If this is not
> available (because it represents too much work), then it is to difficult for
> me too. I am a user of DT, not a developer.
>
> Further more, the referenced link to github has, at that location, a linkĀ
> to another location from which should be able to download the source -
> except that this link merely references itself, so I never find the code for
> DT 3.0.0 or the PDF which describes the application.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Tony Hamilton
>
> On 12/02/2020 12:08, Pascal Obry wrote:
> > Thanks to Matt Maguire for building a script to build the documentation
> > we are now in better shape to build it.
> >
> > So I have created the PDF which can be downloaded here:
> > https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-3.0.0
> >
> > And the online documentation has also been updated for 3.0:
> >
> > https://darktable.gitlab.io/doc/index.html
> >
> > All the links will soon be updated on darktable.org.
> >
> > Note that the 3.0 documentation is not finalized yet.
> >
> > Have a nice day!

Have absolutely no idea what you are doing wrong.  The darktable web site
prominently lists a url to access the 3.0 version manual in pdf form:

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/download/release-3.0.0/darktable-usermanual.pdf

just download it and view in your preferred pdf viewer, I user acroread
and mupdf

openSUSE Tumbleweed.
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode