* Dr. A. Krebs <i...@axel-krebs.de> [03-11-20 16:13]:
> Hi,
>
> I use darktable 3.0.1. 64 bit under Linux.
>
> Instead of picture-previews, I can see only cryptic icons (attachment).
> What do these icons mean?
> How can I avoid these?
>
> Is it necessary to "maintain" the darktable database?
> Or: Is this done automatically?

they are not "cryptic icons" but representations of missing images in your
library.  Images which you have relocated or deleted outside of dt and now
dt has no knowledge of them. Utilize dt to perform these actions and you
will not experience "cryptic icons".

there exists a shell script to remove them from your library:
  /usr/share/darktable/tools/purge_non_existing_images.sh
and from your cache:
  /usr/share/darktable/tools/purge_from_cache.sh

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode