No, focus stacking is not a form of HDR (and darktable doesn't do
focus stacking). In the first case you take the best focused parts of
each image, in the second case you take the best exposed parts
(roughly speaking). The algorithms involved in both cases are very
different.
Best regards,
Guillermo