exiftool -ext dng -ext DNG -xmp -b -w xmp [dir]

I tried it on a folder of some images and it did extract XMP files, but when I try to import into Darktable, I get this error message on several (not all) of the images:

tiling failed for module 'demosaic'. output might be garbled.

and the image is just solid gray.

If I import the same DNG files without the XMP files from exiftool, all images are imported correctly (but without any metadata or development from Lightroom).

Not sure if it's related, but exiftool says this:
Warning: Bad IDC_IFD SubDirectory start - [DNG file]

for all the images.

On 2020-08-15 11:42, Mikael Ståldal wrote:
Is it possible to import metadata and development from DNG files from Adobe Lightroom? (Like you can do from XMP sidecar files.)

It seems like Lightroom refuses to write XMP sidecar files for DNG, instead it embeds that data into the DNG files. ____________________________________________________________________________