If I take a photo where I bumped up the exposure compensation dial +1EV on
my camera to "expose the the right", then when I import the image, by
default exposure module adds the +0.5EV exposure, and takes off the +1EV I
added using the camera exposure dial, to give me a net -0.5EV exposure
adjustment. If I uncheck the "compensate camera exposure" box, then the
picture brightens up by +1EV, no longer compensating for that +1EV I
dialled in to the camera when I took the shot.

So, it all seems to work as expected. Do you see something different? How
are you getting that automatic increment of +1.25EV? That's not in the
code, so it must be an auto-apply preset you have defined. Did you have the
"compensate camera exposure" box ticked when you defined the preset? If
not, then the preset will not activate this compensation.