Hi Martin,

thank you for this piece of advice.

Parafin already gave me the link to the workaround for Big Sur: it works well with dt 3.2.1.

I took a look into the opencl settings and found the following:

0.179000 [opencl_init] found 1 platform
0.213121 [opencl_init] found 2 devices
0.213180 [opencl_init] discarding CPU device 0 `Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz'. 0.213198 [opencl_init] device 1 `AMD Radeon Pro 570 Compute Engine' supports image sizes of 16384 x 16384 0.213201 [opencl_init] device 1 `AMD Radeon Pro 570 Compute Engine' allows GPU memory allocations of up to 1024MB
[opencl_init] device 1: AMD Radeon Pro 570 Compute Engine

So after discarding the CPU device and program compiling only one opencl device ist left:

0.261312 [opencl_init] OpenCL successfully initialized.
0.261314 [opencl_init] here are the internal numbers and names of OpenCL devices available to darktable:
0.261315 [opencl_init]          0       'AMD Radeon Pro 570 Compute Engine'
0.261340 [opencl_init] FINALLY: opencl is AVAILABLE on this system.

I think that for my hardware the default setting is adequate:
opencl_device_priority=*/!0,*/*/*

It results in
10,522398 [pixelpipe_process] [thumbnail] using device 0
10,774635 [pixelpipe_process] [preview] using device -1
18,358848 [pixelpipe_process] [full] using device 0

I don't estimate dt performance as too slow (now that opencl runs on BigSur), I am pleased. As I can't anyway compare directly to my former Linux environment I don't pay any attention to half a second more or less processing time when I e.g. denoise (profile) a zoomed in image.

I'm looking forward to dt 3.4.
Have a good time
Volker