On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 17:35, tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Not sure that I fully understand 'run from the command-line'

I merely meant starting a shell, and using the 'darktable' command
there to launch the application, hoping that you'd get some error
message printed there when darktable freezes. I also get freezes every
now and then (usually after export, though), but I'm running the
development version of the code, so that can be unstable; plus, my PC
is ancient.

> A comprehensive search on the internet returns NO 'hits' which discuss
> OpenCL on Linux Mint 20

> I am using Linux Mint 20 driving an
> nVidia GTX 645 OEM card, using driver nvidia-driver-455 version
> 455.38-0ubuntu0-20.04.1.
[...]
> I now have and have discovered that OpenCL is not available in my system.

That card is probably too old. The good news is, if OpenCL is
disabled, it cannot cause issues (the bad news is, you miss out on
performance; with a second-hand NVidia 1060, my 12-year-old machine is
still usable with darktable).

You say the hang-after-import is a new development. Are you aware of
anything that changed? (Software upgrades, hardware changes, are you
new importing a lot more photos in at once than previously? Have you
cleaned your PC's inside recently? Dust can cause overheating.)

Once darktable hangs, if you open another terminal and launch 'top' or
'htop' (you may have to install them first), do you see high CPU usage
by darktable or is it idle? Do you see any signs indicating running
out of memory? (There probably is a similar tool with a more
user-friendly interface to monitor resources, but I'm not familiar
with it.)

Kofa