On dimanche 6 décembre 2020 12:58:19 CET Alejandro Criado-Pérez wrote:
> Hello darktable users!
>
> Can anybody please confirm if they can or can't export any image to the
> new and coolest AVIF format?
>
> I'm trying to debug an issue with darktable exporting images to AVIF. I
> reported the issue #7177
> <https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/7177> in github.
>
> If you don't see the AVIF format in the list of file types to export
> then its because you don't have libavif installed in your system. That's
> ok. But if you do see it on the list, does darktable produce an error
> when you try to do it?
>
> Please let me know what version of libavif and darktable you are using,
> both if it work or if it doesn't work for you.
>
> For me, it fails with libavif 0.8.3 and darktable master branch.
>
> Hopefully this way we can find the problem.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Alejandro Criado-Pérez

Looking at the issue you reported, it seems that the problem is in the Exiv2
library.

Looking a bit further, especially towards Exiv2, it looks as if Avif support
there is on hold until they sort out some patent-related issues (due to the
similarities between HEIF and Avif).

So the problems you are seeing might just be due to Exiv2 not reading/writing
the format, so not really a darktable issue. As Exiv2 is used to add the
metadata to the converted file, *in principle* dt should be able to write an
AVIF file as long as no metadata have to be added.

Remco