Most modules get their effect applied continuously as you set the parameters, they don't need you to leave them.

Can you provide examples of modules that actually need you to leave them to finalize the operation ?

Regarding "crop and rotate", to finalize a crop I double-click inside the cropped area. "Folding" the module by clicking on its name in the right panel also works.

It kind of makes sense to consider a crop has to be confirmed, although since that was coded, darktable gained "undo" ability with ctrl-z.

From https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/modules.html :

--
Stéphane Gourichon