Simply install the new software. Theres no need to wipe all stuff if you didnt
used a development build that messed up things.
You might backup the config directory but darktable usually will create a
backup of your data.db and library.db
You might also backup the xmp files of your old edits since darktable converts
these to the current history stack version if you open the image in darkroom.
But that doesnt change the modules used in the history stack.