From: Bernhard <darkta...@intervalsignals.org>
Date: Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM
Subject: Question about github
To: <darktable-user@lists.darktable.org>

Bernhard schrieb am 07.02.21 um 09:06:
> Hi
>
> I'm also only a casual user of git/github, but
>
> Bruce Williams schrieb am 07.02.21 um 03:17:
>> So, I did this:
>>
>> bruce@admin:~/Downloads/darktable-dev/darktable$ git checkout
>> release-3.4.1
>> error: The following untracked working tree files would be
>> overwritten by
>> checkout:
>> src/tests/integration/0000-nop/expected.png
>> src/tests/integration/0000-nop/nop.xmp
>> src/tests/integration/0001-exposure/expected.png
>> src/tests/integration/0001-exposure/exposure.xmp
>> src/tests/integration/0002-local-contrast/expected.png
>> src/tests/integration/0002-local-contrast/local-contrast.xmp
> Perhaps this has to do with what Pascal wrote some time ago:
>

> Pascal Obry schrieb am 15.01.21 um 12:02:
>> The integration tests are eating quite some band width for some people
>> and will become hard to manage at some point.
>>
>> It has been decided to move the integration tests under a sub-module.
>> This will require more work for the devs but seems to be a good
>> compromise.
>>
>> The change will happen today.
>>
>> If you don't care about the integration tests and want to avoid
>> downloading the tests you can do:
>>
>> $ git config submodule.src/test/integration.update none
>
> So perhaps others could clarify.
> I would try the given command and see if you get rid of all these
> errors since you as a user most likely will not need those tests

I just did some random tests:

Bruce, I assume that you cloned the darktable repository some time ago
and just updated by 'git pull' from time to time to build your master
binaries.
That's what I did also.
When I call 'git checkout release-3.4.1' I get the same errors as you
experienced.

The command 'git config submodule.src/test/integration.update none' I
mentioned above does NOT solve this.

My quick and dirty solution:
rename the folder with the incremental darktable repo (which was 2.7GB
big) to something like "darktable_old" and do a fresh 'git clone
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git'

Within this new clone (only 1.2GB big) the above command 'git checkout
release-3.4.1' works - don't however know why this is ... perhaps
someone other can clarify.

--

regards
Bernhard