<fontanellalore...@gmail.com> wrote: >

>> I speak about my needs of course, but I
>> know many photographers who think the
>> same and are in the same situation.

> Then maybe you should change your workflow
> and take a look at QuickRawPicker:

Maybe there is no need to suggest something
that drastic.

First, I would recommend you, Lorenzo, to have
a slower look at the manual regarding
collections. I know it's pretty overwhelming at
first, but just take your time and experiment
with each option one by one, and see what
collections you can visualize on your computer.
I'm sure you'll find more than one you'll like.
and that you won't feel you lost your time.

I've never understood why people think it's
sexy to use a word that has a different meaning
for what they want to express, and I've never
understood, why darktable chose to use "film
role" instead of "directory". (Well, back in
the 80ies Apple also thought that "folder"
would be sexier). And that, considering that
even "directory" is already a metaphor. Anyway,
film rolls are exactly the way you store your
files on disk. So, there's already a file
system browser in darktable (besides the one
you get in the import module, though I did
prefer the previous version of that).

However, I do agree with you, that selecting a
film roll in darktable is rather tedious. I
don't have 500.000 images, but even those I
have make me scroll for a while until I find
the directory for my "collection" I'm actually
looking for. In the meanwhile I often find it
faster to type in something like ">=
2021:10:06".

So maybe, in a moment of contemplation, some
darktable developer may consider to attach some
hierarchical tree to that endless list, and if
hit by an attack of generosity, he might even
add some choice of sorting (alphabetically or
by date, ascending/descending) which would make
it easier to find for instance the most recent
leaf directory created, accessed or modified.

Regarding the need to import, with 500.000
files, I think you'll need more than just the
directories to get organized. You'll want to
qualify and tag each image and use a database
for filtering. Darktable allows you to do just
that, even if it's "only" an editing software.

So, what's wrong about importing those images
into a database? After all, darktable didn't
forget to add an option to remove those images
from the database if you don't need them anymore
(although, I do hate the choice of wording
"remove" and "delete", because of the severity
when using the wrong one, and there might be a
more organic solution to synchronize the
database with the file system in case of
change).

HTH