On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 11:12:56 +0200
Lorenzo Fontanella
<fontanellalore...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Terry
> Hi Community
> Interesting and already known suggestions,
> however they are not feasible. If you try to
> import even half of the archive I'm talking
> about, 250,000 files, you will immediately
> realize that it would become unmanageable and
> slow.

One thing is import and another thing is using.
At least, I assumed you don't produce 500.000
images per week. For import you can start on
Friday evening, take your wife to a wellness
hotel and come back relaxed on Monday, to see
that everything's set.

Darktable is based on sqlite, which has no
problem what so ever with this amount, even
adding a few orders of magnitude. Queries will
be very fast. That's the point of SQL machines
after all. From the point of view of sqlite,
even the import can be fast, but there are ways
to make them slow (using single transactions
for instance).

My guess is, darktable's attempt to create a
thumbnail per image would probably a major
bottle neck.

Once, it's in the database, extracting
relatively small amounts of images within one
collection won't take much more time than
having only 500 images in the database. But if
you pretend to load 10.000 images into one
collection, I would expect that darktable will
raise your consumption of coffee (or other
liquids) while creating and caching all those
thumbnails. And Gnome will put a cherry on top.

> BUT... I have more and more often the need to
> perform an overall preliminary development
> and then to choose the final ones for the
> finished development. And with DarkTable,
> this dynamic that requires importing every
> time, lengthens the work.

I'm still assuming that you are not
preliminarily developing 500.000 images at
once. So if you do that with 100 o 200 images
per collection, you won't feel any penalty of
having even a million images in the database.

However, there is one weak point I've observed
recently in darktable 3.6: If you start out
with an empty rule, for a few moments the
collection will include every single image in
the database, and darktable---which by
inheritance of Gnome is not a friend of OK or
SAFE buttons---will start loading all those
thumbnails into lighttable.

From my point of view, trying to avoid this is
the only thing you need to solve. Maybe you
would have to leave an existing rule, add one
or more new ones and only then delete the first
one. But I haven't tried that.