Hi,

what you see in the lighttable (until you edit the image) is the embedded
JPG. When your camera is taking "B&W" images it just processes the JPG to
be B&W, but the RAW file still has all the color information. darktable
uses the RAW file, so you see the latter in the darkroom.

If you want to recover that JPG rendition from your camera (and you're not
saving RAW+JPG), exiftool can extract the embedded JPG from the RAW file.

Best regards,
Guillermo