Patrick Shanahan schrieb am 19.10.22 um 21:30:
* Bernhard<darkta...@intervalsignals.org>  [10-19-22 13:17]:
Bruce Guenter schrieb am 18.10.22 um 23:53:
Now, the database has recorded the images as being there, but the edits
are only present in the XMP files, so the edits appear to be lost.  They
can be recovered by reimporting the files, which will reload the XMP
sidecars, but it's somewhat surprising to need an extra step to recover
a database which, hypothetically, should be at least as durable as the
sidecars.
This*extra step*  should be presented automatically - at least, when you turn
this on:

look for updated xmp files on startup
     Scan all XMP files on startup and check if any have been updated in the
meantime by some other software. If updated XMP files are found, a menu is
opened for the user to choose which of the XMP files to reload (replacing
darktable’s database entries by the XMP file contents) and which of the XMP to
overwrite from darktable’s database. Activating this option also causes
darktable to check for text sidecar files that have been added after import
time (default off).

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/preferences-settings/storage/

--

regards
Bernhard

https://www.bilddateien.de

I am sure that a patch would be welcomed.  your move.
I don't understand ...
Why a patch?
On my machines at least this works fine like documented.

If this is not working on the machine of the TO ... then there must far more
significant problems.

--

regards
Bernhard