Le 12/11/2022 à 17:52, Jean-Luc a écrit :
Le 07/11/2022 à 23:22, Bernhard a écrit :

Jean-Luc schrieb am 06.11.22 um 00:22:
Le 04/11/2022 à 21:58, Bernhard a écrit :

Bernhard schrieb am 04.11.22 um 21:54:

Jean-Luc schrieb am 04.11.22 um 17:49:

Hello,

Not exactly that.
In fact, the maintainer of the repo which I installed from seems not active anymore - or at least only once a year.
So I did not get the summer update so far.
I would like to build dt myself, but not see it fall into my home directory, as it always happens when I do it. So, my question : how can I manage to install it as if it were done frome repo ? I searched and could find with /wereis/ that it currently uses the following directories :

    darktable: /usr/bin/darktable /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/darktable /usr/libexec/darktable /usr/share/darktable /usr/share/man/man1/darktable.1.gz

You know these instructions?
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable#building

It tells you to do this

mkdir build/
cd  build/
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable/ ..
make
sudo make install

with the prefix being the directory to install to ...
This works for me although I don't know much about all these things.

btw. I use `checkinstall` instead of `make install` to build a package (.deb in my case) and then use the package manager (dpkg in Debian) to install/uninstall the package.

Hello Bernhard,

So I might have done something weird when I tried this.
However, I notice that then the maintainer of the repository from which I installed did follow the instructions, since dt appears in /usr/bin/darktable instead of /opt/darktable/.
At this point, what would you advise me to do ? Backup my config and

 * unsinstall dt, erase everything related to it in the directories
   above and build as described in github, or
 * use cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/bin/darktable ..

What distro do you use? You write
the maintainer of the repo which I installed from seems not active anymore
There should be a package for most common distros here:
https://software.opensuse.org/package/darktable

I use /opt since I do like to try darktable master every now and then and want to make sure this does not interfere with production darktable stable version (which is installed to /usr/bin by package manager from repo above).

If you compile and this is the only version you want to use ... I'd think nothing speaks against the procedure you suggested.

Hello,

Thank-you.

So, I had prepared to run the commands with /usr/bin/darktable instead of /opt/darktable/ when the package manager displayed available updates.
There was dt among the updates, so I let do.
I will now be able use the geotagging module safely on my photos.

Rgrds,

J.-Luc

Hello,

New dt release made me decide to do it.

 * I first removed the PPA so it would not interfere with the build :

   sudo ppa-purge ppa:savoury1/graphics

 * Then uninstalled dt :

   sudo apt autoremove darktable -y

 * Checked the prerequisites :

   sed -e '/^#\sdeb-src /s/^# *//;t;d' "/etc/apt/sources.list" \
      | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/darktable-sources-tmp.list >
   /dev/null \
      && (
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get build-dep darktable
      )
   sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/darktable-sources-tmp.list
   sudo apt-get install gcc g++ cmake intltool xsltproc libgtk-3-dev
   libxml2-utils libxml2-dev liblensfun-dev librsvg2-dev libsqlite3-dev
   libcurl4-gnutls-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff5-dev liblcms2-dev
   libjson-glib-dev libexiv2-dev libpugixml-dev checkinstall

 * Cloned the repo :

   git clone --recurse-submodules --depth 1
   https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git
   cd darktable
   git fetch --tags
   git checkout tags/release-4.2.0
   git submodule update --init

 * And, finally, launched the final process :

   mkdir build/
   cd build/
   cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ ..
   make
   sudo checkinstall

And... I have now got rid of the main problems I did report so far, and even one I did not : the size of the menus now matches the settings I do in preferences.

Christmas before the day, thanks to the whole team. 😎

Rgrds,

J.-Luc