If I declare a model that 'belongs_to' another, create an instance of
it and try to save it without a foreign key value I get an exception
stating that the foreign key field doesn't have a default value.
Here's an example - http://gist.github.com/265117 . The console output
indicates that the table is being created with a non null constraint
on the foreign key.

Surely this hasn't always been the case? This is breaking an app of
mine that has been working perfectly fine. Am I missing something?