I also looked in to this recently and decided to just bite the bullet and to
all the INSERTs one at a time.  Wrapping all the inserts in a transaction
helped speed things up quite a bit.

Some of the pushback about making this a standard data_objects feature was
that not all DBs support bulk insert.  Still making it available for those
adapters that support it would be good I think.

-J