On 11 Jan 2010, at 23:07, Locke wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, and I installed my distribution's sqlite3-ruby
> package. It works fine, too. I can "include 'sqlite3' in my ruby apps
> with no problems. But this does NOT seem to be enough for DataMapper.
> DM seems to be looking /specifically/ for the do_sqlite3 gem.
>
> But "gem install do_sqlite3" crashes and burns (can't find sqlite3.h).
> So I downloaded the source, configured, and 'make'd it. I ran the gem
> install again with:
>
> "gem install do_sqlite3 -- --srcdir=/usr/local/src/sqlite-3.6.22"
>
> This found sqlite3.h, but died with "checking for sqlite3_open() in -
> lsqlite3... no".
>
> I have a few questions:
> What is the difference between the do_sqlite3 and sqlite3 gems?
> Why does DM need do_sqlite3 instead of just sqlite3?
> How the heck do I actually install the do_sqlite3 gem?

Could you try by installing sqlite3-dev first to see whether it works then?
Looks like you have some locally compiled sqlite3 and there could be an issue
that do_sqlite3 doesn't pick up that version.

do_sqlite3 implements the DataObjects API which is a generalized API for
running queries against an RDBMS, much like how JDBC is the standard for Java
and ADO for .NET.

--
Regards,

Dirkjan Bussink