Luca,

While I guess I can't help you with using datamapper in a rails-2.3
app, have a look at

http://github.com/snusnu/datamapper_on_rails3
github.com/dkubb/rails3_datamapper

for an example app using datamapper on current rails master.
Everything works nice
for me, if you experience any problems, feel free to ping me and I can
help you sort
them out.

Concerning datamapper on rails 2.3, i can only tell you that lots of
people are using the
rails_datamapper gem from dm-more and it works fine for them

cheers
snusnu