Sounds like this is more a DataObjects question than a DataMapper question.
Still, have you thought about mysqlproxy (or something similar) as an
intermediate connect / load-balancing point?  Haven't ever explored using it
that way, but generally speaking any proxy that has a mysql-specific notion of
connection state could multiplex down to a smaller number of connections..

cheers,
--jordan