The best documentation are existing adapters.

An adapter that is easy to follow (IMHO) is the dm-mongo-adapter.

You can find it under https://github.com/solnic/dm-mongo-adapter.

The RDBMS adapters are a littlebit more complex to understand as they are implemented on the abstract dm-do-adpater. But when you whant to start an RDBMS adapter you should built it on top of dm-do-adpater.

Regards,

Markus