While this topic may be very old, i figured i may as well respond to it
just in case someone else happens to look for this.

https://gist.github.com/Speljohan/5124955

Drop that code in your project, and you'll be able to use the symbol
additions like so:
Model.all(:column.similar => '[0-9]')
Model.all(:column.ilike => '%hello%')