Dear Dilip:

the projection depends upon the source. In most cases, the only source that exists is the Census district handbook maps. These in turn have been prepared from taluka level maps that the Directorate of Land Records and Survey Settlement creates from village-level cadastral maps. Now this method by definition means there is no original projection system, and that these maps are not geo-corrected (not terrain-corrected) as the originals are based on chain survey and plain table surveys, not theodolite surveys. So unless someone has done some correction work before creating the maps you used, they would have significant limitations in terms of geo-referencing. Our experience (we created the Karnataka layer from scratch, by digitizing the individual taluka-level village boundary maps by hand) tells us RMS errors of 2-3km for the state as a whole would be normal. What we did was to georeference by matching the state boundary so created to the Survey of India state boundary, which is available and is a properly projected layer. (Simply creating a prj file for the existing map does not work, because the scans will be anyway in centimetre or mm or inch units. So you need pucca geo-rectification.) Fairly easily done in QGIS.

I hope this helps. Am still digging for the layers we supposedly have.

Sharad