perhaps one way is to avoid using postal data altogether.

All header pages in electoral rolls(the first page) contain the name of the
polling station related to that roll, the PS number, and importantly the
pin code.

 A site like psleci.nic.in has geog coordinates of polling stations (though
Raphael had collected the data earlier*). Matching the two will give a
fairly dense scattering of points  - in fact much more dense than if we
used some of the methods earlier in this thread.

We thus have a way of associating a pin code with a geo coordinate. We can
then use the voronoi method.

Electoral rolls are mostly in pdf which make them difficult to scrape. But
from what i have seen, for any given state, the location on the header
page, of the pincode number is more or less constant, making it possible to
target just that part of the page with any pdf parser.

Electoral rolls have become difficult to download in bulk( a good thing!)
but i understand different people on this group have the pdfs for different
states. Putting this stuff together should give us comprehensive data on
header pages for atleast some states. Alternatively, we can file RTIs for
just the header pages of electoral rolls, though i dont know how successful
that would be.

* Raphael's data is at
https://github.com/raphael-susewind/india-election-data