Hi all,

A little background first. I wanted to share about a loose organization of equal
peers called Debian, It is and has been described as a project as well
as 'The Universal Operating System' , see debian.org . The project and
the OS has been used world-over and is a friend to many a sys-admins
whose lives have become a bit peaceful due to the nature of the tools and the
commitment of people behind Debian. The Project and the OS has been in
existence for more than a decade and a half and from a handful of packages
(i.e. applications) has grown to serve almost 40000 packages (forty
thousand packages) with 10 different hardware architectures powering everything
from the smallest heart monitor and artificial heart to being used in
missiles and nuclear power system as well.

Now every year Debian organizes a conference every year in a different
country and city to -

a. Promote Debian to that part of the region/world.

b. Bring various developers from all across the world so they can
collaborate in-person (face-time) as well as give new people (new
blood) a chance both to learn better code/development practices and
also share new ideas to old problems in light of changing
technological environment.

In this aspect, I have been awarded a travel and accommodation
bursary/sponsorship for the entire conference and a bit more. See
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2016/06/11/the-road-to-debconf-2016-tourism-and-arts/

I have been a debian-user for less than a decade and have been
contributing to the Debian QA efforts. See
bugs.debian.org/from:shirisha...@gmail.com

I am sure the Debian BTS (Bug Tracking System) would be itself a
fertile ground for the data scientists in the datameet community ;).

Now having shared the above, in this debconf there is an initiative
called showmebox initiative which is being driven which shows the
power of data visualization using any foss data visualization library,
the more FOSSY the data (open data) and tools to extract, process and
finally visualize the data is, the better. If the tools are licensed
either GPL or BSD great as both are great copyleft licenses.

Some info. about the initiative

https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox

Couple of Debian blends where data visualization is a focus area -

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTinker

Mailing list for the showmebox initiative -

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/showme-devel/

My involvement in this is limited to the fact that I'm going from
India. So if somebody has something that they want to show-off they
can connect on the mailing list shared just above and CC me . I would
just be a handsome courier, and all questions and queries would be
directed at whatever contact details are shared with me.

I live in Pune, Maharashtra and would be flying from Mumbai, so if
somebody has something which works under the various constraints that
we have as shown in the wiki and the discussions on the mailing list,
feel free to connect me off-list. If the developer/data scientist/data
visualization hacker is either in Pune or Mumbai both that doubles the
chances as there is possibility of meeting and me trying out their
stuff and if it runs on native Debian without needing any non-free
software I am open for it.  I am ok at compiling stuff provided
instructions are clear and the build system is not buggy (which
sometimes happen). Open hardware is good but if it works on a Debian
workstation/laptop it is good enough for me.

Look forward to hearing from you. If somebody needs more contact
details to talk in detail i.e. my cell number, please reach off-list
and will share it.

To the rest of the datameet community, sorry for the noise and
nuisance caused .
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com