Hey Mili,

There are APIs available to extract data. For extracting twitter data, you
can refer to this:
https://dev.twitter.com/overview/api

Similarly for Facebook graph API you can refer here:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/overview

Note that there are limitations on the amount of data you can obtain from
these APIs.
I had earlier written a post on sentiment analysis of twitter data in *R* (
http://discerndata.blogspot.in/2014/11/sentiment-analysis-of-twitter-data.html).
You can refer this to see how Twitter API can be used to obtain data.

For creating visualizations, there is a library in R called *igraph *using
which you can create visuals depicting the node connections representing a
social network.

Regards,
Ajit