Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> How do you handle the future?  Right now we only know the
> actual leap seconds through 2002/12/30.  But you could make some kind of
> prediction for dates beyond that.

Sure, there could be an option, such that it would add 1 second
for each 1 1/2 year outside the "known" range.
But those would not be "official" leap seconds.

This module might need upgrading each 6 or 12 months,
since future leap seconds are not predictable (there is some
"noise" in earth rotation speed and in the atomic clocks).

The user program could check the values of the first/last epoch we know
for sure,
and schedule a CPAN check when time comes.
Current values for first/last known epoch are
$Date::Leapsecond::UTC_EPOCH[0]     # epoch of 1972-Jan-01
$Date::Leapsecond::UTC_EPOCH[-1]    # epoch of 1999-Jan-01

It looks like we need an "expiration date" constant to store the value
"2002-12-31"

- Flávio