Oh.  Duh.  I took the line "This class has the following methods" to
mean that it was a class method not an object method.  Dunno why I
read it like that, everything is pretty clearly intended to be called
through an object.

Anyway, DateTime's time_zone_short_name method was actually what I
should have been using since I don't have a TZ object the TZ should be
able to tell me it's short name...

     Thanks,

             -ben