* Ben Bennett ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [18 Jul 2003 22:04]:
> Do they call the standard and summer times different things?

> The current DT::TZ stuff and POSIX::strftime and date on
> Linux and Solaris all say EST in January and July...  I
> have also seen it given as EAST and EADT (actually I just
> checked www.worldtimezone.com and it gives AEST, AES, EAST
> and EST all as possible variations... bah!).

> Iain, which state do you live in,

None. I'm in a territory. That said, the ACT follows NSW
(thus you'll see me use Australia/Sydney in a lot of my test
code). I also spent quite some time in Tas, and a reasonable
amount of time in Vic and NSW.

> and what is the short TZ name in January and July?

One doesn't use short terms that often. Personally, I'd use
AEDT and AEST, but I've no idea what the less
as she's somewhat more practically minded than I.

> Also, how do you tell the times from Queensland apart from
> those in Victoria during DST?

It's never come up for me. Similarly, I've never needed to
worry about Adelaide time (half an hour behind), and only
need to worry about Perth time (3 hours behind) when talking
with one of my aunts.

> I wonder if Olsen has the wrong short names? The notes at
> the bottom indicate that is possible.

Having just read that, I agree with everything it said ---
there's no real consensus, and it's a mess. So, assume it's
both right and wrong?

cheers,
--
Iain.