On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Jonathan Swartz wrote:

> > Well, that still doesn't say which is bigger.  For example, 1 month is
> > smaller than 30 days if your base date is Feb 1, but not if it's December
> > 1.  It might be useful if you know that both durations were originally
> > derived from a single base datetime, but otherwise it's not terribly
> > useful.
>
> True, it isn't useful if you want to compare absolutely arbitrary durations
> and get a reliable answer. But in my case, I was dealing with durations
> defined in hours and minutes, and guaranteed to be less than a day, so the
> comparison would pretty much work anchored at any date. * I'd guess that
> many DateTime applications have constraints like that which would allow
> worry-free comparisons.
>
> Maybe it's better to offer the comparison operators (by anchoring at present
> time) and give ample warnings in the documentation about the cases where it
> won't work reliably.

Sounds like a reasonable addition to the FAQ.

> * - yes, I'm sure you date experts will ravenously point out certain Julian
> epochs where an hour was only 58 minutes or something. give me a little
> slack, ok? :)

I think you meant "ravingly" rather than "ravenously".  But I _will_ point
out that there _are_ leapseconds, which means that _some_ minutes are
longer than others, and by extension some hours are longer than hours.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com