On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:00:54PM +0100, Anton Berezin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For example, EST is used for "Eastern Standard Time", aka
> > America/New_York, but also for parts of Australia.
> >
> > Even EST in the US is ambiguous, because it's also used for
> > America/Indianapolis, a time zone that does not observe DST, in addition
> > to America/New_York, which does observe EST.
> >
> > There's been discussion about this on the list, but I'll repeat this over
> > and over.  The various 3 and 4 letter abbreviations sometimes used
> > colloquially for time zones are often not sufficient to accurately
> > determine what the actual time zone is, and should only be used for
> > display purposes, as in "January 4, 2003 11:00 EST".
> >
> > Setting your system's time zone to such a thing is asking for trouble.
>
> I really don't know.  Three-letter abbreviations are POSIX.1.  They
> might be obsolete, but they are still supported by most implementations,
> and used widely.

Umm, a posix-style TZ looks like this:

stdoffset[dst[offset][,start[/time],end[/time]]]

So at minimum you would have TZ=CET-1 (std and offset).
(Note that the offsets are negative east of GMT and positive west of GMT.)

If you are using just TZ=CET, I suspect you *do* have an Olson tz entry
for CET.  Indeed, I see one in tzdata/europe:

># These are for backward compatibility with older versions.
>
># Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
>Zone    WET             0:00    EU      WE%sT
>Zone    CET             1:00    C-Eur   CE%sT
>Zone    MET             1:00    C-Eur   ME%sT
>Zone    EET             2:00    EU      EE%sT

It would be nice to have an option to include all the
backward-compatibility timezones in DateTime.