On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Daisuke Maki wrote:

> My main concerns in trying to encode this into a (strp|strf)time-ish
> format are as follows:
>
>   - Encoding is actually a combination of number representation
>     and whatever else format. for example, the era notation is
>     actually 1) era/roman 2) era/double-byte roman 3) era/kanji.
>   - I personally think that the encoding scheme for (strp|strf)time
>     is horrendous in some cases -- %[a-zA-Z] is just confusing
>     sometimes -- it certainly doesn't make it easier for the Japanese
>     audience
>   - I'm already jumping through hoops trying to write regexps that
>     match unicode Japanese. Will this add even more to the pain?
>
> Hmmm, I guess I'm just having a hard time trying to picture what it is
> that I gain while I feel that I lose a lot of the ease of use and
> maintainability by adding this (strp|strf)time-ish generalization on the
> formatting. But I may be wrong. Please let me know if you have any
> comments on this.

I don't know that all possible sets of formatted outputs really lend
themselves well to strftime notation, and I don't think you should feel
obligated to come up with one here.

At the very least, I think the existing interface to DT::F::Japanese
should continue to exist.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com