On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Rick Measham wrote:

> > print "DTABS: " . new DateTime(month => 7, day => 1, year => 2004,
> > hour => 14) . "\n";
>
> On the other hand, DateTime->new() returns the local time zone unless
> otherwise instructed.

No it doesn't.  It uses floating.

> Dave, can you enlighten me as to why this is the case? Shouldn't all
> constructors that don't have a time_zone attribute assume the same?
> (Which I'd prefer to be local if we can get it)

Didn't I just explain why now() (and today()) use UTC?  It's cause we use
gmtime(time) to get the value, so we actually know the time zone.

> While talking about local time zones, I'd like to again ask that during
> the install stage, the local zone can be set/confirmed. I'm sure you
> had a good reason not to do that, but I can't remember it.

No reason.  Patches welcome ;)

> I'd also like to see a class based (rather than object based) ability
> to set the local time zone, probably through the import:
>
> use DateTime local => 'Australia/Melbourne';
>
> Then all constructors would use that as the local (default) zone.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea.  How about making it something you did
with DateTime::TimeZone instead of DateTime?

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com