On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:56:07AM -0500, Dave Rolsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> > and DateTime-Locale fails because it uses a passthrough Makefile.PL
> > that requires user interaction to download Module::Build.
> > (Activestate's build process does check dependencies and would process
> > Module::Build first if it were a listed as a dependency, but it's
> > not.)  This is a fundamental problem with passthrough or small
> > compatibility Makefile.PLs, and an excellent reason to not use them.
>
> They could just install Module::Build once on their machines and be done
> with this problem!

AFAICT, they do each build in a "clean" environment with only those
modules that are listed as dependencies installed.  And the
ExtUtils::MakeMaker Way of Doing Things is that Makefile.PL has to be
run *first* and then dependencies be checked.  This makes
non-traditional compatibility Makefile.PL's something of a joke, since
there is no way for them to be compatible under automated build tools.

> I did nag an ActiveState person about this at OSCON and he said that
> someone was working on re(writing|factoring) the auto-PPM tool.

One thing you can do is add build_requires: Module::Build to
META.yml.  Don't know if their tool even checks this file, but
it seems to me incorrect to not have it listed.