On 2005-01-20 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>DT::Set count() currently returns "undef" on error, and "0" for empty
>sets.

>Should it return "zero-but-true" (0e0) for empty sets?

I use 0e0 (or '0 but true') in lots of cases where an empty set is a
valid return value, where zero is a valid index, and where zero is a
valid input datum not the same as that datum being "empty", all cases
where truth tests alone aren't sufficient to distinguish a real zero
from '', undef, etc.

But I've wondered: is zbt one of those charming Perlisms that, for all
its utility, might fall by the wayside or be shown to harbor potential
for serious errors?

>Such that you could write:
> $count = $set->count or die "can't count";
>instead of:
> $count = $set->count; die "can't count" unless defined $count;

I say this is an improvement, pending enlightenment on the above
question.

As always, Flavio, thanks for your good work.

- Bruce

__bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz__ca__