On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Rui Fernandes wrote:

4) The last:

my $last_observance = bless( { #DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT THIS IS...
 'format' => 'WE%sT',
 'gmtoff' => '0:00',
 'local_start_datetime' => bless( {
   'formatter' => undef,
   'local_rd_days' => 728749,
   'local_rd_secs' => 7200,
   'offset_modifier' => 0,
   'rd_nanosecs' => 0,
   'tz' => bless( {
     'name' => 'floating',
     'offset' => 0
   }, 'DateTime::TimeZone::Floating' ),
   'utc_rd_days' => 728749,
   'utc_rd_secs' => 7200,
   'utc_year' => 1997
 }, 'DateTime' ),
 'offset_from_std' => 0,
 'offset_from_utc' => 0,
 'until' => [],
 'utc_start_datetime' => bless( {
   'formatter' => undef,
   'local_rd_days' => 728749,
   'local_rd_secs' => 3600,
   'offset_modifier' => 0,
   'rd_nanosecs' => 0,
   'tz' => bless( {
     'name' => 'floating',
     'offset' => 0
   }, 'DateTime::TimeZone::Floating' ),
   'utc_rd_days' => 728749,
   'utc_rd_secs' => 3600,
   'utc_year' => 1997
 }, 'DateTime' )
}, 'DateTime::TimeZone::OlsonDB::Observance' )
;

Can you explain me the logic of the fields?

Ugh, I'd rather not ;) Basically, this is a translation of the Olson time zone database into Perl data structures. The "last observance" here is the last line in a Zone definition for a given time zone. It's the one that continues into the indefinite future, and is needed to calculate DST changes for the future.

As to what the zone and rule definitions are, you really need to look at the Olson time zone database itself: http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

The translation into Perl _hugely_ obfuscates the original data, because it's translating a text format into data structures, and it also does some optimizations like pre-calculating a lot of DST changes.

Please answer as soon as possible.

You probably don't mean to sound rude, but this is a bit pushy. Everyone working on this stuff is a volunteer, so generally you get an answer when they have some free time ;)