Just FYI...

1. Store the timezone data in C structures or in some easy to access DB format (CDB or TDB?) to reduce the memory footprint size, and the load time.

I'm almost done with porting DT::TimeZone to XS (at least the most oft-used portions). The XS portion is already working, and I'm currently working on the pure perl fallback.

The memory footprint is about 3307 bytes with XS, as opposed to 50323 bytes for America/Chicago timezone (as reported by Devel::Size)

we'll most likely need volunteers to make sure that the module is portable, so please stay tuned...

--d