John Peacock wrote:
There are a *lot* of applications (not just M$loth's brood) which rely on governments not doing stupid things like this.

Hey! That's my government you're talking about there! (Australia/Melbourne)

Seriously though, were I not married I would have insisted on keeping all my clocks at the normal changeover, however my wife is a teacher and her being an hour out of synch with the school would probably not go down too well.

That being said, the other stupid thing they're doing is shortening the first term at school .. normally we have 4 terms of apx 10 weeks. The first term normally takes a little while to get into the swing: the students have new subjects, there's camps and photos and a myriad of administration matters. Now our ever-wise government has decided that because of these 'Commonwealth Games', term one will only have six weeks. So give the students a month to get down to work and you've now only got two weeks left!

Personally, I say get rid of DST everywhere. Let the Government (capital 'G' .. in a democracy that's the people) decide what UTC offset we'd prefer to be rather than basing it on anything else like the sun posiiton which we know changes. Most people I talk to here would prefer it to be 'Permanent Daylight Savings' we Melbourne would be UTC+1100 every day of the year.

</rant>

Cheers!
Rick Measham

--
 "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
                             -- Ambrose Bierce