Based on Jim Brunette's observation, I soon found this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970653

    August 2009 cumulative time zone update
    for Microsoft Windows operating systems

    The update that this article describes
    changes the time zone data to
    accommodate daylight saving time (DST)
    changes in several countries, as
    outlined in this article. This update
    also includes other DST-related changes,
    time zone-related changes, and
    settings-related changes. Some of these
    changes have occurred since the products
    that are listed in the "Applies to"
    section were originally released.

The CLDR has this:

    http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/diff/supplemental/windows_tzid.html

And here is its XML source named supplementalData.xml:

    http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/supplemental/supplementalData.xml

So it seems there is a standard mapping of Microsoft Windows time zones to the
Olsen tz (Zoneinfo) database, but that is isn't up-to-date enough for practical
use. I guess this is the problem with trying to standardize the coupling of two
non-standard things (well, one proprietary thing with another de facto standard
thing).

Jim Monty