James,

Before you debug further, can you check following steps ?

a. You have following nodes populated in jffs2 image:

1. /dev/console (make sure rw permission is set)
2. /sbin/init (well, you may get rid of init by providing init=/bin/ash
to bootarg, this will provide you shell directly; rather than going init
way).

b. While generating jffs2 image, block size is provided properly.

c. During erase (of course, when rootfs is mounted using NFS by kernel),
  -j option is provided.

/usr/sbin/flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd1

d. During burning jffs2 image on NAND, following options are provided:

/usr/sbin/nandwrite -jpf /dev/mtd1 <jffs2 image name>

j - jffs2 support
p - page aligned
f - legacy support

e.

- This indicates that superblock has been constructed.  There are high
chance that out of band area (OOB) may not be populated properly.
Though with JFFS2, only clearmarkers are marked in OOB area.

f. At the end, it would be worth enabling JFFS2 debug message so that
you can debug further based on the log generated.

On the whole, it looks like - either jffs2 image creation or flashing on
NAND is a root cause for your problem.

I hope this helps.

- Dhaval